- Is "No one has ever done it" an acceptable reason for doing something? Discuss.
- Is "No one has ever done it" a good reason to go see something? Discuss.
- Unedited transcripts of conversation are fascinating for their tedium and empty content, full of many ums, sentence fragments, and, especially from a young person, unnecessary use of the word "like." (Apparently, it's required two or three times in every sentence.) A little editing — just enough to trim the fat while still maintaining a sense of natural conversation — would shave two hours off this show.
- New meanings are added when a little chuckle is transcribed as "hahaha" and then sung or spoken as distinct words, "Ha. Ha. Ha." Sounds snarky, sometimes devious. The text might be accurate, but its performance alters and adds meaning.
- While the words are supposedly unedited, sound designer Kristin Worrall (the woman telling her life story) is called "Anne," "Julie," and "Bobby" throughout the show. What the hell?
- Biggest laughs of the night: when Kristin — spoken and sung by all the ensemble members at one time or another — says things like, "God, this must be so boring for you. I'm sorry." Because sometimes it is. But we're all spellbound. So it isn't.
- Silver Area 51 aliens with big black eyes are always fun. Send a few on stage occasionally.
- A half-hour intermission at 11:30 pm might be necessary, but it's not nice.
- Would I have survived this day sitting on FringeArts plastic folding chairs rather than the Wilma's comfy seats? I don't think so.
- Audiences want a curtain call. Why deny us? We give a whole day's well-earned (for effort, at least) clapping to the organist.
- These five episodes, each in a different style, are only half of the ten phone conversations in which Kristin told her life story. So there may be another 12-hour performance in my future.
- At 1:30 am, 250 bleary-eyed people stumble out of the Wilma. We'll share a memory forever: We survived Life and Times Episodes 1 - 5. Someone order T-shirts!
[Editorial note: Jesus Christ, Mark. I officially owe you like at least seven beers. —Emily G]
Car service Uber looks to expand in Philly
A popular app called Uber, which lets users order personal drivers through their computer or...
Concert Photos: Pink / The Hives @ Wells Fargo Center 12/6
Pure pop spectacle. These three words exemplify Pink’s return to the Wells Fargo Center last...
Concert Photos: Moistboyz @ North Star Bar
Dickie Moist (Guy Heller) and Mickey Moist (aka Mickey Melchiondo, aka Dean Ween) are touring...