Bailey Chick said that the photography show she’s curated is meant to echo the way we ingest...
Published: 08/02/2013 | 0 Comments Posted
We always get a ton of stuff that doesn't make it into the official agenda for one reason or another. Or sometimes it does! Anyway, this is some of the stuff that CP staffers are attempting to get to this weekend their own selves. You have no excuse for boredom.
FRIDAY AUGUST 2
- It's First Friday, people. You could do Old City. Or Gravy Studio at Hancock and Cecil B. Moore. Or Philly Theatre Company on the Avenue of the Arts. Focus!
- Obviously everybody excited about the BlackStar thing @ Johnny Brenda's. Brother From Another Planet + King Britt + music improvisation + film remixing = ???
- At The Mermaid Inn, Tim Motzer's Burundi Dreams is teaming up with Usula Rucker.
- Get Phreak N' Knnnnky @ XO Lounge. It's a full night of queer cabaret.
- PhillyBloco @ World Cafe Live.
- Bells≥ plays Kun Fu Necktie. They're ex-Jawbox. You can make the "≥" on a Mac by typing option+">". Cool?
- Good ol' indie rock tonight @ Ortlieb's: Joey Sweeney, Judson Claiborne and Lewis & Clarke.
- PODFEST. (See Also: Trailer Trash)
- GayFest! @ Plays & Players. Theatah!
SATURDAY AUGUST 3
- Wake the kids and bring ’em to Mess Fest @ Franklin Institute.
- There's a Phreak N' Queer reading @ Wooden Shoe in the afternoon. And at night: Homorama — rock/electronic music featuring the awesome +HIRS+ and a bunch more @ Milkboy Philly.
- According to that guy on that podcast, skas is coming back. And he might be right: The Pietasters are playing in Wilmington.
- Underground Arts delivers: St. James & The Apostles, Shark Tape and Low Cut Connie.
- Connie's Ric Rac presents another Local Music Flavor Showcase.
- Blayer Pointdujour, Mercury Radio Theater and more music (with some burlesque sprinkled throughout) @ Johnny Brenda's.
SUNDAY AUGUST 4
- Read this thing on the Phillies by Dave Faris. It may take you all day.
- Dry Reef et al. @ World Cafe Live.
- Reggae in the Park @ The Mann.
- Pentagram will destroy Underground Arts. In a good, heavy metal way. Just look at this fucking photo.
- Pachanga Vagabunda, if you know what we mean. At Reanimator Coffee.
- Second Street Festival in Northern Liberties. It's kind of a big deal.
Where to cry in Philadelphia
After reading this New York magazine story about a Tumblr account featuring the best and worst...
Nutter's budget address leaves fate of school funding and PGW sale up in the air
Mayor Michael Nutter held his annual budget address this morning amidst tightened security,...