In this week's cover story, CP editor Paulina Reso gives a first-hand look at how the strange sport...
Published: 08/09/2013 | 0 Comments Posted
We always get a ton of stuff that doesn't make it into the official agenda for one reason or another. Or sometimes it does! Anyway, this is some of the stuff that CP staffers are attempting to get to this weekend their own selves. You have no excuse for boredom.
FRIDAY AUGUST 9
- Philly Soul Stock is... not sure what it is. As for where, it's in Nicetown Park.
- Swearin', Batty and Radiator Hospital are playing, but we can't say where.
- Why is the world in love again? They Might Be Giants play the Chameleon in Lancaster.
- This seems pretty neat: Tanzania Reads @ Time.
- Connie's Ric-Rac rocks with Vibratek, Old Soul and Keepin' the Family.
- Jost Project @ the Art Museum
- Secret soul/blues legend Shuggie Otis plays the Blockley.
- The Smokin' Gun Revue does a sideshow/music/comedy thing @ The Station Bar & Grill.
- This is a pretty sweet line-up: Hurray for the Riff Raff and TJ Kong + the Atomic Bomb @ Johnny Brenda's.
- Derrick Hodge does Underground Arts.
SATURDAY AUGUST 10
- This year's Girls Rock Philly Summer Rock Camp Showcase takes over Underground Arts.
- There's a hot dog eating contest at the Dog Days of Summer Block Party @ the shruggably named Philadelphia Bar & Grill. Not recommending it. But curious.
- Whirr and Nothing 4 Free play for free @ AKA. Good stuff.
- Magic Pictures presents paintings by Alessandro Keegan.
- Bad Rabbits are playing Union Transfer. Check their picture in the paper version of the paper for an obscure Watership Down reference.
- Grape Street Pub's doing a benefit for a dude who BROKE BOTH OF HIS HEELS. Ugh that sucks. Get well soon, Scott Silipigni.
- Pretty self-explanatory: Kenzinger Clambake @ JB's.
- This Is Hardcore. Are you? @ various locations.
- Have you read our interview with Miss Rose? She's doing a Tarantino-inspired burlesque show @ PhilaMOCA.
- Heavy Medical plays their last show ever @ Khyber Pass Pub. With Britches, Frankie Teardrop and Hanging Tounges (it's possible that should say Tongues). Take the Frankie Teardrop Challenge!
- Ricart/Millevoi Quartet holds a record release show @ Ortlieb's. Shaun Brady recommends.
SUNDAY AUGUST 11
- Well. Lots of good theater going on: Two Noble Kinsmen @ Philadelphi Shakespeare Theatre. Noir @ R Bar. Gayfest! @ Plays & Players.
- Spatial Translations is still happening @ Drexel.
- The The Band Band plays the music of The Band, not The The. @ World Cafe Live.
Concert Review & Photos: Ex Hex / JD Samson & MEN @ Comet Ping Pong (Washington, DC) 12/8
This past Sunday the snow could not dampen the excitement for the Ex Hex and JD Samson & MEN...
Concert Review & Photos: Joseph Arthur @ Jammin’ Java (in Vienna, VA) 12/7
Due to other music commitments, a detour was taken by this critic from the most local stop on...